Physician Dispensing Allowed:



A practitioner who is authorized to prescribe non-controlled substance medications has the ability to dispense those medications during the normal course of practicing medicine as long as they comply with all state and federal laws. There is a separate registration needed for controlled substances. Every practitioner who administers, prescribes, stocks, or dispenses any controlled substance must be registered under both state and federal Controlled Substances Acts. Federal registration is with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). These registrations must be renewed periodically. Registration is for a specific practice location. Practitioners who stock and dispense controlled drugs at more than one practice location must obtain a registration at each practice address.

Required Documentation:

A dispensing registration and permit is required for controlled substances and depending on the physician’s and patient’s individual need to dispense.

License/Registration Form:

Iowa Board of Pharmacy Controlled Substance Application Website

Useful Links:

Mailing Address:

Iowa Board of Pharmacy
400 S.W. 8th Street, Suite E
Des Moines IA, 50309-4688
Phone: (515) 242-3272
Fax: (515) 281-4609